Monday, April 4, 2011

Live from Edinburgh, Scotland

The train ride yesterday was horrible. Not fun at all. But looking out through the window and seeing the amazing landscape, don't think anything can top that.

I'm currently in the hostel reception, waiting for my taxi to take me to the meeting place of my tour. So this will just be a blog to recap the happenings of yesterday.

I saw both ends of a rainbow from the train, it was soooo beautiful!!!! I'll upload photos onto facebook at another time. By the time the train got to Newcastle, it was already hyping me up for Edinburgh. There were so many bridges there! There was also one that looked similar to the Sydney, Harbour Bridge, only a smaller version of it.

I got to Edinburgh, and caught a taxi which took me straight to the hostel. Checked in, and then went exploring around the area. I went to a spot called Calton Hill, which featured many monuments, and I was also just in time for the sunset. Ahh, I love how daylight savings started before these April holidays, I can be out and see the sunset at a later time than the usual 4pm sunsets in England. The view from Calton Hill was one of the most amazing that I've seen so far, and if this is just a little taste of what Scotland is, then I can't wait to see the rest of it!

I took a walk around North Bridge, and found Pizza Hut! Just in time for dinner. So I treated myself a meal, then started to walk back to the hostel. I was just about to raise my hand for a taxi when this man on a pedicab (or what Filipinos call it, instead of a tricycle [which is a motorbike], it was a bicycle) came over to me, and asked me where I was heading, he offered me a ride. The thing I didn't know was that I didn't have any cash/coins on me at the time, I was definitely apologetic about it, and told him not to worry about it. Thankfully he noticed my half ''British/Australian'' accent, and said they don't get people like me in Ediburgh *BLUSHES* ahha. So instead, he offered to take me on a tour around the upper level of Edinburgh. (Yes there are two levels of this capital city) and finally got to my hostel. Cleaned up a little, and right when I was just about to sleep, these two German guys walked into the room, and it felt awkward not saying anything, so knowing me, I introduced myself. And I found out they were taking a year off uni. Haha, the things you find out when you meet strangers. They asked me to go out for a drink tonight, but sadly, I didn't go. Haha, had to wake up early for this morning.

And so here I am now, sitting by a computer, with soft rock music playing in the background in a hostel reception room, waiting for my taxi ride! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment